Butter Cake with Raspberry Buttercream
Butter Cake with Raspberry Buttercream Icing
This butter cake recipe is from the classic South African recipe book the Kook en Geniet (Cook and Enjoy). I have my grandmother’s copy from 1982 that my mother gave to her when I was born. It is so worn and the pages are dirty on the more popular recipes. But this recipe book is a staple in my kitchen. I always bake from it if I am looking for a basic recipe. This butter cake is a rich dense cake and topped with the raspberry buttercream icing makes for a delicious decadent cake. The raspberry buttercream icing gives a great sweet sour contrast to the rich butter cake.
Makes one 22 cm butter cake or 6 individual mini butter cakes
125 g butter
375 ml sugar
5 ml vanilla essence
635 ml flour
20 ml baking powder
2,5 ml salt
200 ml milk
1. Beat the butter and the sugar with a stand mixer or hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence.
2. Add the eggs one by one and beat very well after each addition.
3. Sift the cake flour, salt and baking powder together and beat into the egg mixture alternating with the milk until it reaches a velvet texture.
4. Pour the mixture into two prepared cake tins lined with baking paper or bake in two small individual cake tins each for the smaller version of the butter cake.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes for the big cake or 15 to 20 minutes at 180 ° C. When the cake comes away from the sides and the top is set the cake is ready to come out of the oven.
6. Empty the cake out onto a wire rack to cool and once cooled ice with raspberry butter-cream icing.
Raspberry Buttercream Icing
1 Cup Raspberries (Blended and strained)
½ Cup Raspberries for garnish
Icing Sugar, sifted
Beat your sifted icing sugar and butter together till pale and fluffy with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Then add the blended and strained raspberries and mix well. You can also use Raspberries that are not blended just crushed if you want a more textured icing. If your icing is a little runny simply place in the fridge until set then use on the cooled cake.
Styling: Yellow Papaya